California Check Seller Bond |
AmeriPro Surety Bonds | 844-589-9732
Licensing of Check Sellers
California check sellers, bill payers, and proraters are licensed by the state’s Department of Business Oversight.
A condition of licensing is that a surety bond (and meeting financial net worth minimums) are required as follows:
- Bill payers and general proraters require a $25,000 surety bond. They must also have a minimum net worth of $10,000;
- Check sellers require a $500,000 surety bond and must have a net worth of at least $500,000.
Qualifying and the Premium
The $25,000 California check seller surety bond required of bill payers and general proraters is issued to you immediately when calling our agency. There is no credit check for this smaller of the two surety bond amounts.
When you call us, we’ll take a short application from you over the phone. The questions asked are all very basic: i.e. the name on your bond, and contact information.
After paying the $375 premium, this bond is issued to you immediately for filing.
The $500,000 surety bond requires the following:
- Completion of a surety bond application, which is both signed and witnessed by one other person;
- Providing a recent financial statement;
- Having good to excellent credit.
Approval for the $500,000 surety bond is at 1.5%, $7500 annually.
For both surety bonds, after payment of the premium and receipt of the original bond documents by mail (including a Power of Attorney form), you’ll file it to:
Commissioner of Business Oversight of the State of California
One Sansome Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
Premium Prepayment Options
The premium for either surety bond amount will renew annually.
You also have the option to prepay your check seller, bill payers, and prorater bond premium for up to 3 years. Doing so, while entirely your decision, will save you over annual renewals.
The premium prepayment option and savings are as follows:
$500,000 surety bond required of check payers:
- If prepaid for 2 years, the premium is $13,500, a $1500 savings;
- If prepaid for 3 years, the premium is $19,500, a $3000 savings.
$25,000 bond required of bill payers and proraters:
- If prepaid for 2 years, the premium is $675, a $75 savings;
- If prepaid for 3 years, the premium is $975, a $150 savings.
Purpose of Your Surety Bond Requirement
Broadly speaking, the purpose of the check seller surety bond is largely twofold:
- That your business will be in compliance with all laws and regulations in its dealing with the public;
- The you will pay any money owed to the Commissioner of Business Oversight, in accordance with the Check Sellers, Bill Payers and Proraters Law.
AmeriPro Surety Bonds is a surety bonds-only agency. We provide license and permit, court, and probate bonds throughout California and all 50 states.
Please call our agency today at:
Or, you may fill out our Contact form and a Surety Agent will call you.