(844) 589-9732

Certificate of Title (Lost Title) Bond

February 4, 2020

A certificate of title bond (also known as a defective title bond or lost title bond) may be required as a condition of obtaining title to a vehicle for registration purposes. The surety bond is to protect any prior owners, subsequent owners, or others from financial loss in case any information about the vehicle was either not disclosed or not known. Our agency offers this bond for 1% ($100 min.) of the amount required; and up to $50,000, without a credit inquiry.  AmeriPro Surety Bonds: 844-589-9732.

Certificate of Title (Lost Title) Surety Bond

AmeriPro Surety Bonds | 844-589-9732




Lost Vehicle Title; Defective Titles




In many states, the local and state vehicle registration department (some states call it the Department of Motor Vehicles; others, a Motor Vehicle Department) will sometimes require persons who want to register a vehicle to obtain a surety bond when the title to the vehicle cannot be determined.

A title cannot be determined when it is lost, stolen, or there is some combination of circumstances where, for some reason, it’s no longer available.

A lost certificate of title surety bond may be required of a car, motorcycle, mobile home, and utility vehicles. This surety bond is also referred to as a defective title bond or lost vehicle title surety bond.




Purpose of the Defective Title Bond




The lost title surety bond is required in order to issue what is called “a bonded title”. While the title is required of you as the purchaser, its benefit is for the following:

  • The DMV department which requires the certificate of title bond;
  • Any prior owners or subsequent owners of a vehicle;
  • Any lienholders...

In case information about the vehicle is subsequently learned which causes any of these people a loss or harm, which was not known and is only subsequently discovered at a later date.

The amount of the bond is statutorily determined by the motor vehicle department. They will either have their own formula that they use; and some will have you rely on NADA to determine the bond amount required.

Many times, that amount is 1 ½ times the current value of the vehicle; however, this amount may vary from one state to another. The only thing that matters to you is the state’s laws where you’re registering your vehicle.




Qualifying and the Premium




With our agency, up to $50,000 (in Alaska, up to $100,000) your are automatically approved for the certificate of title bond without a credit inquiry.

The onetime premium is 1% of the amount of the bond required or $100, whichever amount is greater.

You will need to have the following information available to have your bond issued:

  • The amount of the surety bond that you are required to purchase;
  • The year, make and model of your vehicle;
  • Your vehicle’s VIN;
  • Some states may request the length of your vehicle, color, and other information

Once this information is provided to us, and the premium is paid, your bond and a Power of Attorney (POA) form will be issued to you. Some excessively regulated states like California may also require a notarized document to accompany your surety bond.

Amounts greater than $50,000 will undergo a credit inquiry. To qualify at the 1% rate, good credit is required.




Presenting Your Bond to Your Motor Vehicle Department- What’s Next




Once your defective title bond is presented to your motor vehicle department, a “bonded title” will be issued to you.

Depending on the state, the “bonded title” may be for up to 4 years. If no claims against your bond occur, then a regular, non-bonded title will issued to you. At this time, the surety bond will no longer be active.




About Us




AmeriPro Surety Bonds is a surety bonds-only agency. We provide lost and defective title bonds for vehicles wherever required nationwide.

Our agency is also a provider of lost deeds of trust bonds for homes and title companies to facilitate the sale or refinancing of a home.

Please call our agency today:




Or, you may fill out our Contact Form and a Surety Agent will call you...